Can I bring my elderly mother to live with me in the U.S.?

Leaving your home country to live in the U.S. can be bittersweet. You can look forward to a brighter future for your children, who have grown up with the right to stay here. Yet, as your parents who stayed home grow older, you may wish you could there to help them. One solution you may consider is to bring them to join you in the U.S.

U.S. citizens can apply for a Green Card for their parents

If you have gained U.S. citizenship, you have the right to apply for your parents to join you permanently if you are 21 years old or over.

As with many immigration matters, it is simpler to prove your mother’s relationship to you than your father’s. You may need extra details to verify your father is your biological father. If they did not register as your father until you were over 18 years old, it might still be possible.

Can I bring my parents to the U.S. if they adopted me?

You can apply to bring a parent who adopted you as long as you have an adoption certificate to prove they adopted you before you were 16 years old.

Can I bring my stepparent to the U.S.?

You can apply to bring your stepparent to the U.S. as long as they married your biological mom or dad before you were 18 years old.

What if I do not have U.S. citizenship yet?

If you are not yet a U.S. citizen, you would need to look at other options to bring your parents on a temporary visa.